Thursday, April 3, 2014

Updates

Clearly my attempts to regularly blog have failed miserably!  I've spent large chunks of the last few months working on my proposal or feeling guilty that I wasn't working on my proposal.  There have been some strange things that have happened over this time.

First, I had some INCREDIBLY good fortune with regards to AERA.  I received a Division J travel grant and I was accepted into the Emerging Scholars program of that division.  For the purposes of debriefing myself on the Emerging Scholars program, I will save that for another post (especially given that I'm at AERA now).

Second, I was approached by a faculty member in the department that I work for and asked if she could be on my dissertation committee.  This woman shall remain nameless here, but there are a few things that caused alarm for me. 1) It's awkward that I was asked to put her on my committee (and not the other way around).  I toe a precarious line with her because I don't want her on my committee, but I still have to work with her until I decide to leave my job.  She's also well-connected to people, so I obviously don't want to burn any bridges.  However, it wasn't a good fit for me, and I hate to find ways to redirect or outright avoid her pushy, pushy scheme to get on my dissertation committee.  Luckily, my chair backed me up, and...

My first choice for the 4th (and outside) member of my committee said yes to serving on my committee!!!  So one of my next blog posts once I get back to San Antonio will likely be the story (and fallout) from telling the woman I work with that she can't be on my dissertation committee.  I'm going to at least take the high road with her and write her a handwritten thank you card that thanks her interest in my committee but graciously declines her offer to serve.  I hope this is far less dramatic than how it's been playing out in my head.

Last thing, I passed my qualifying exams and have permission from my committee to take a break and enjoy a breather before jumping into revisions and going through the IRB process and whatnot.  Since I'm not planning on collecting data until at least August, the break is welcome.  After the last few months, I can't help feeling a bit like this...






No comments:

Post a Comment